Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Saturday home but not alone

Since our arrival, we have been meeting people quite easily. Friends of friends, neighbours, moms with kids of a similar age, fellow citizen (mostly for Pauli, as I have still to meet some Quebecois here), people sharing a common language, or a common interest (yoga for me, ping pong for Pauli).  Like any other expatriation that I have lived before, it is quite rapidly that people exchange contacts details, gather, invite each other, find reasons to visit one another, go out or share a meal. And it is certainly one of the reasons why I like expatriation. Furthermore, beyond this ease to develop friendships, it is also extremely interesting to see how diverse these new acquaintances can be, and how varied our life experiences are. And today, I am blessed by having friends from all over the world.
So today, as a way to share with these newly-made friends, we decided to prepare a brunch. (I also have to admit that after our last restaurant visit with Noam, it is preferable to eat home.) We had invited a few friends, but along with girlfriends and visiting parents, the guest list all a sudden reached 14 adults, 4 kids and 2 breastfed babies (but these two did not worry me, as their food was already taken care of). So in my usual inability to gauge quantities, combined with a fear of not having enough, I cooked. (And cooked.) At least we have table extensions, so everything could fit on the table! Potato salad, green salad, asparagus quiche, onion and blue cheese flan, stuffed mushrooms and pancakes for the kids. Along with a special order of super fresh croissants and bread from Pekotan, our favorite local bakery. And a platter of cheese. And a spice cake (my first). Along with some special tahini and lebaneh directly from Shunni, we were set.
 
As the conversations fluctuated between Hebrew, English, French and German, the food just disappeared. While the parents were busy talking, the kids enjoyed each other's company, playing together.
Sometimes there are tables that I remember well. Not only for the food, but mostly for the company, the ambiance, the exchanges. Today it was one of those. Me and Pauli feel really grateful to have found these new friends. And I guess Noam too!

No comments: