Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Super Size

In a country like China, with the number of people living here, we can expect some things to be larger. For example, the train station where we left for Xian, the Beijing West Train station,  was BIG.

The new airport is MASSIVE (the world's biggest after Dubai's). 
(Thanks Mr Foster for the photos).

The streets are super LARGE

and the interchanges and overpasses are super HIGH and OVERSIZED.  

Maybe they expect them to be filled by people and cars in a few years?
At other times, I find myself in places where I am just truly surprise by the scale of things. The other day, I went to the bank to change a few dollars, at the branch of the China Merchant Bank, on Chaowai Street. Usually I go in our compound, where we have 3 tellers and no line up. In the Chaowai branch, the place was so large it felt like being in a bus terminal. There were lots of screens above our heads, telling us who they were serving. Numbers were constantly called to the cashiers, which were well over 30 in numbers. I pulled a number from the machine when I entered, and looked up. One hundred persons (or numbers) were in front of me. I sat in a chair, pulled my computer, and got ready to wait for a while.
I only got so far writing this post as I was probably in a fast lane for privilege foreigners changing currencies...

(The photo shows only half the waiting area.)

No comments: