Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Bunny

There are traditions that we don't want to loose. And then there are places where holding these traditions does not come easy. Easter in Beijing is not particularly difficult, the weather is good, the trees are blossoming, we can find chocolate eggs if we know where to look for them. But for me Easter always has been a family matter, not even really a religious one. Yes at times, I attended the Saturday evening mass or the Sunday morning one, but the real meaning of it for me, always has been to gather the family around a good meal. So I decided to set a large table and organize my own Easter event.
In Quebec, at Easter we usually serve a ham, cooked in beer, maple sirup and pineapple. After getting a special ham from the German butcher (who sells the best meat in town in my opinion), I invited enough people to make sure the piece of meat would get eaten before the end of the day.
A great group of friends came over. Polish, British, Québécois, Americans (and two from Ilinois!), what a great mix. Noam was in even with a crowd of 5 friends into his play area. We cheered champagne to our friendship while the kids were getting high on chocolate! Not that I want to brag about it, but the ham was so good it was gone before I could take a picture of it! You can ask my dad for the recipe!

Happy Easter everyone!

No comments: