Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ooops!! I am under surveillance!

In the mist of my (now less) frantic unpacking, I took a pause today and to update my blog (and you). But for some reasons, the web page was not opening. I tried again and again. I check my internet connection, as I need to manually turn it on. All was good. My emails were coming in. Google page was turning on. Facebook too. Not my blog. Again and again, I would just get an error page. 

De The Eye is watching


For a moment I did not want to believe it. I doubt. No it can't be, they would not be watching me so closely? But after trying successfully to open my blog using some web tunnels (or web bridges),  I realize that yes, my blog is now officially blocked. Wow... 
I am quite dismayed by the idea! 
Did I say anything offensive? The only  - but really the only - controversial element I can think of since I started publishing is dealing with the pollution levels in Nanjing. For a brief two lines, I am making references to the situation, and refer to a published report that most people here in China do not have access. I cannot imagine anything else that I have published that could be offensive to China.

It says a lot. 
It tells me extent to which the information is controlled here. Sensitive information is not necessarily information that you and I would find offensive. But it is information that probably can give power to people. Or can show China under a bad eye. 
It tells me that with 1.321 290 billion people, they still manage to watch us one by one. (But maybe they watch foreigners more closely).
It tells me that they spend a great deal of their energy and money in saving appearances, and in control measures. 
It tells me that it might be extremely difficult for those who simply want to know the truth, to access factual information, and to be sure of what they are reading. 
It tells me how strong China is. Even if it is not so pretty. 

So you probably wonder how come you can read this now; why I am still able to publish? In fact I spent the last couple hours trying various other web bridges and tunnels to try to publish again. In the end I have been able to work around the security controls with a complicated contraption, but unfortunately I am unable to share with you for obvious reasons. 

I am not an activist, a freedom fighter or an anarchist. I am just a woman hoping to share with you my experiences in this new place. And I am now under web surveillance!      ;-)   




No comments: