Monday, December 8, 2008

A nailing moment

Just a few hours before Pauli's departure for Chongqing for the week, I escaped for moments to get some "me time". I also brought my Chinese homework, to free my evening. Multitasking at its best. 
After a walk to the next street large mall, the Place, I found what looks like a good spot. Several girls are waiting beside deep chairs. I look at the menu and decide on a simple pedicure (no frills or extras). As I am about to sit back and let the young lady take care of things, she tells me that maybe I should consider the "special" pedicure on the menu (80 RMB extra), with sterilized torture instruments (as opposed to shared ones for the regular treatment). Hum. Seems like an offer I don't want to miss. Interesting how they tapped into the foreigner's fears. 
De toes
While she get started, I pull my books from my bag and start my assignment. After a few moments, I lift my head to realise that about 4 other beauticians are standing around my chair, waiting to see what character I will draw next. Or I guess probably what mistake I will do next. Imagine watching a 6 year old writing a long sentence. Painfully slow. That's my speed. They seem to enjoy it tremendously, commenting among each other, I imagine, about the shape of my characters, the text we have to write or just about the way I hold my pen. Who knows, I am not (yet) able to understand what they are talking about.
De toes
It turns out to be a really good spot to do a Chinese language homework. I get instant help, correction and advises. The girls are happy to be of assistance and I imagine that they must find amusing my slow attempt at their language. And it seems that most of them are looking for something to do other than just drinking their tea while waiting for a customer.
De toes
(This photo gives you a glimpse of the tea drinking aesthetics here.) 
Meanwhile, my nails are getting done. Great! Just in time, as the whole exercise has taken longer and Pauli's departure time is approaching. But... my nails need to dry and without the help of some special blue lights (which they don't have), it takes much longer. In the end, in order to save the fresh polish, my young beautician staples a few paper sandals together and leaves me running home, in a zero degree weather, toes exposed. By a chance our house is just near by! 
De toes


1 comment:

Farzana Rasheed said...

Great title - nailing moment!